Sunday, May 24, 2009

Moved my studio


I started my business working at the couch with a tv tray. The more my business grew the harder it was to be efficient.

So, last November I found a space to work out of. It was a storage room inside another business. My productivity went up. I could complete projects in a few hours that took days at home.

After the Presidential election the tension in the building has grown. To be polite and leave out details I will just say I felt like I was in a Rush Limbaugh episode. I listened politely and would say I must get to work and make a fast exit.

Well, sad to say, but being respectful of others opinions but not outwardly agreeing seemed to make me THE enemy. I was being spoken to rudely. So, today while the building was empty I packed up my studio and brought it home.

I do have concerns about the division that has been occurring in this country. I was surprised it touched my life here in liberal Missoula. These people were my friends. I have friends from many faiths or no faith. I have friends from a variety of political parties or no party. Like Rodney King says "Can we all get along?"

I have everything squished in a 4 by 6 space. Tomorrow I will do some creating in my own lovely, peaceful environment. When I step out for a break instead of other humans to greet I will have the deer, squirrels and my sweet kitty, Luna.

I loved having a studio and I truly believe that closing a negative door will allow another door to open. I became self employed so that I could enjoy my work. As Martha Stewart says "This is a good thing"!

8 comments:

Wear Your Wild said...

Yes, it is a good thing! Sounded like a toxic environment. Your breaks sound like mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Celtic Cat said...

It is so sad we can't get along!

Glad you have a peaceful place to work!

gypsy moon designs said...

It is working out great. I have been creating all morning and Mitchell pops his head in and visits. I am so glad I cut loose from the other place.

Sherry said...

Seriously, life is too short to endure toxic people. You did the right thing. It will probably end up to be one of the greatest moves you've made.

I have an attic studio, and while the temperature is not always ideal, working at home is wonderful.

Unknown said...

It seems we must face challenges in order to grow more beautiful. You have chosen a peaceful path that shows your strength and I am sure your beautiful work will reflect that! Peace.

DeeDee B said...

I would say that other door has already opened. The peacefulness that you will now feel will lead to more creativity. Good for you!

gypsy moon designs said...

Thanks everyone!

Kenna Elizabeth said...

I wanna go to Glacier NP!!
And I totally relate to having your workspace in crammed in a corner, but happy to be working from home! The practical, available space in our place here puts me in a little old-fashioned, built-in vanity in the hall! So, from my "desk," I can see in the mirror how tired I'm getting!! :)

Glad to hear you have such good company now at work!

Countries that wear my designs!
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com