Sunday, June 21, 2009

I love my Daddy!


My Dad must have the patience of a saint, he raised four daughters. Never did he make us feel like he wished at least one of us was a boy. As the eldest child I get the privilege of reminding my siblings that I will always be #1 daughter! : )

Dad is a very easy going, happy go lucky, logical, thoughtful man. He is really good at explaining and teaching. Him and Mom are both witty people.

My Pops took us fishing, canoeing, camping. We saw Forts from the American Revolution, The Smithsonian Museum, The Badlands, The Golden Gate Bridge...life was an adventure.

We drove across country as a family many times. Dad was in the Air Force and then worked for IBM. In the 1970's IBM stood for "I've Been Moved" they transferred their employees often. We had a Chevy Suburban and us girls laughed that we were the Beverly Hillbilly's in that big vehicle. I got my adventure for travel from him.

As a teenager I got in trouble in school. It involved me, a cap gun and being off school property. As long as I told him the complete truth he defended me with the school system. He taught me how to fight an injustice even if it was drawn out and uncomfortable.

He taught us girls to not back down to bullies, try new things and laugh at ourselves. Because the rest of the family sure was laughing at us! : )

As a young woman he taught me that even men who work on their cars make mistakes, it wasn't because I was a "girl".

He taught us that self worth and intelligence were not based on our gender or a college degree. He shows by example what integrity is.

As a young woman I learned from him things like "This too will pass". "The political pendulum slowly swings back and forth". "Don't reinvent the wheel". Which the last one I never did grasp!

So on this day of honoring our fathers I want to wish my Dad a very Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to the best Dad ever!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and your dad sounds like a super Dad.

gypsy moon designs said...

He is! : )

Celtic Cat said...

SO wonderful to hear about your dad!

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Hip, hip, hurray for Papas everywhere!
Celeste (Crickets)

AgelessThings said...

lovely family portrait!

Erika said...

What a sweet message for your Dad! I miss my Dad sooo much , he passed away very unexpectedly 3 years ago and the pain of the loss has lessened some but is still raw. Enjoy every moment with him :)

Countries that wear my designs!
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com